It’s one of the trickiest grooming habits to pull of successfully and one that is not made easy by the thousands of colognes, body washes, scented deodorants and aftershaves that are available on the market. The grooming habit being referred to here is matching the right combination of fragrances together in just the right manner. This grooming ritual is also referred to by many as “layering.” Men in particular should be carefully when they layer fragrances so as to not create a heavy scent that is off-putting. Layering in an incorrect way also has the effect of shortening the duration of the scent one has achieved. Below are some tips for men on smart layering that will produce the effect of creating a long-lasting, distinct scent that will last all day long and into the night.
- Simple is best: Try mixing one or two-note fragrances together. Vanilla, amber, or coconut-based scents go together well in particular.
- Consider scent duration: Different cosmetic products have different levels of intensity and duration. For example, shower gel generally last for only seconds. Cologne lasts longer than aftershave and of course under arm deodorant lasts all day. Try using a neutral aftershave and deodorant and then pair it with more assertive colognes.
- Go unscented: If you believe your overall layering may become too overpowering try using unscented deodorant. They have become increasingly popular and are very easy to find.
- Don’t spray your clothes: Mist your pulse points but don’t ruin your clothes. Doing so risks creates an overbearing scent.
- Use similar scents: Don’t blend scents that are too diverse. For example, if you are using one product with citrusy notes trying pairing it with a product with a similar base.
- Know the difference between cologne and deodorant: Deodorant is less assertive than cologne. Generally, it is designed to keep you from having an unpleasant scent and keeps you from sweating. Cologne is designed to make you smell better than deodorant would alone. Don’t confuse the two and never, use one in place of the other.
Finally, following these tips should make layering a less confusing and tedious job. It should also help make you and your aroma stand out in a positive way. Men can be as capable and knowledgeable about this area of personal grooming as women and can make their colognes, aftershaves, etc., last the entire day. The next time you apply these personal products remember it is more about doing so in the right combination as it is about the scent of any particular fragrance.