When buying a perfume for a man, the best idea would be to start with a basic understanding of scents and how they work. You will find there are many reputable brands in the market, so the choice may not always be too obvious: Dolce & Gabbana, Dunhill, Jean Paul Gaultier and so many others.
However, selection will depend on various factors. Assess the personality of the man the fragrance is meant for and you will find a lot of answers.
The first thing to do is think of the man the perfume is destined to and determine:
- Are they an active person, do they work out a lot?
- Are they a professional, always wearing suits and being at the office for long hours, sometimes even late into the night?
- Do they tend to go out with friends a lot?
- Do they care for fashion and trends?
When you have answered these questions, you will probably know more about the type of scent that would be suitable to buy. Here are a few guidelines:
- For a rather conservative family man, choose a wood-toned scent. Perfumes that include cedar, vetiver, patchouli and sandalwood are your best options.
- For a man who is rather outgoing and loves a hip life, coumarin and bergamot, even geranium scents are recommended.
- If your guy is the outdoorsy type, there are many suitable scents: safe, thyme and cloves, even citrus fragrances.
- For someone who is all about sophistication in their personal life, nothing can be more suitable than a woody, cyphre fragrance.
- For the natural born leader choose a heavier Havana-like scent, a full tobacco fragrance that is manly and sensual at the same time.
- If you are buying a perfume for a rather sensual man who loves the challenges of life and yet manages to keep a mysterious profile in their personal life, go for a light vanilla and spice scent.
- If you truly want to impress someone special, lavender should be your number one choice, this will never fail because it is masculine enough and yet sensual enough to capture senses.
When selecting a perfume for a special man in your life, it is also recommendable to buy complementary products such an after shave or a lighter eau-de-cologne. Layering will help them stay fresh throughout the day.